Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

 Our adventures this Memorial Day weekend 2013 inspired me to start blogging.

Our friends, Dave and Alicia DeNio, came over to help us construct some raised beds out of logs, manure, and dirt.  Then Dave needed to drive his tractor home so I asked if we could get a ride down the dirt road close to our house.  Dave did even better- Anjali and I got to drive.

"Driving the tractor was really fun although I started out at snails' pace, then hedgehog, and finally a rabbit with three legs pace.  It felt really bumpy.  Every little bump seemed to be magnified."
-Anjali, age 11

 
 
 Super easy- one pedal and the wheel.  
When I stopped pushing the pedal, it stopped, rather abruptly.
Up very tall, I felt like a country road celebrity, a farmer, really, driving powerful equipment.
I saw my neighbor out in his tractor working his fields and I waved but he didn't even look my way.
Such is the self-assurance that comes with having your own tractor apparently.
But it's not all glamor-  I got a bug in my teeth!
-Amy, age 42


"Well, it was fun and kind of scary.  
On the fast parts, basically, I felt like I might fall off, so I held on tight."
-Mark, age 6


Then we pounded in some fencing around the berry patch and Tim took me for a walk to see the elderberry bushes he'd found.  On the way, we found and harvested some ramps (wild onions) and dandelion greens for salad.  I was so proud of our wild harvest, I took this photo.



Ginger asked last Friday if our Memorial Day plans included chickens and of course it did.  Here's last weeks's photo of the kids with their favorite chickens- Anjali with Peaches and Cream and Mark with Brownie.  
 Tim and Anjali tried to sex the chickens this weekend and despite best guesses when they were day and month-old chicks, looks like we've got 7 roosters and 15 hens instead of 2 and 20.  Fortunately, a 4H friend is looking for a couple roos and we'll figure out the others.


1 comment:

  1. Very cool, Amy! Nice to hear of your new adventures. Hope you're all having a Happy 2014!!! Sara Jerpseth :)

    ReplyDelete