Sunday, July 7, 2013

Why I shouldn't be a farmer and why I'm trying anyway



Westley: I mean, if we only had a wheelbarrow, that would be something.
Inigo Montoya: Where we did we put that wheelbarrow the albino had?
Fezzik: Over the albino, I think.
Westley: Well, why didn't you list that among our assets in the first place?
The Princess Bride


There are a number of good reasons why I shouldn't be a farmer.
1.  I am squeamish.
2.  I don't like hassle.
3.  I am not physically strong, coordinated, or flexible.
4.  I am not good with animals.
5.  I am not mechanical.
6.  I don't like feeling out of control.
7.  I am scared of the wildness of nature.
8.  I don't like mess, uncertainty, and lack of closure.
9.  I have no experience.
10.  I don't want to fail my way to experience.

So, I can hear you asking, "Then why in the world did you move to the country and start a farm, Amy?"
Don't think I haven't wondered myself.  Especially when all I can see are my challenges and liabilities.

Basically, it comes down to this.
1.  I think hard times are coming.
2.  I like to eat really good food.
3.  I want to live a healthier, more active lifestyle.
4.  I get bored easily.

At first, that seemed awfully slim.
Ridiculously little to go on, really.
But that's what I've got.
That and all the wheelbarrows I didn't know to list among my farming assets in the first place-  a sense of humor, an insatiable curiosity, a determination to learn.


Farming is not only for the brave, knowledgeable, physically agile professionals who liked machines and animals. 

Which is very, very good for the rest of us.


1 comment: