Sunday, February 8, 2015

Barns I have pondered

I drive by a number of barns on a regular basis.
Two in particular catch my attention as they are both 
on the same stretch of road about 2 minutes apart.






The barn above houses cows which I've seen 
coming in and out to pasture.
They especially love that gnarly old tree in the foreground.

The barn below I haven't observed being used.




The contrast in appearance intrigues me as does the way my thoughts have changed since I first started regularly observing these barns two years ago.

When I first started driving by, 
I thought something down the lines of:

"Wow, look at that falling down old barn.  What a safety hazard, leaning like that. Sad to see so much hand-built effort decaying and falling into ruin like that.  I wonder if it will fall down soon.  I wonder if the wood will get re-purposed like those cutting boards I've seen.  I wonder if the cows are happy in there with all those holes for snow to blow through.

Wow, look at that snazzy barn, there.  Nice color.  Tidy siding.  Slick roof.  1928, huh.  That's pride in history to paint it up there.  That's a long time to live with purpose."












Now when I drive by, I think something like:

"Wow, I think it's marvelous that they're still getting value from that old place.  Once upon a time, some farmer put a lot of work into that.  Maybe their neighbors did, too, at a barn raising. All their hard work is still paying off.  The current farmer is still benefiting from their effort all these decades later.  Lucky farmer.  And those cows seem happy enough.

Wow, that is a nice looking barn.  Bet all that siding and roofing cost a ton of money and time.  Sure looks great.  Very pleasing."


While I admire the snazzy red one,
I actually spend more time pondering the other.


What does it mean that the farmer is getting value for no effort?

What is the value in letting things run their own course and fall down in their own time rather than deciding to take it down?

What does this say about farming? about life?

Would the cows be any happier with the snazzier one?
Would the farmer?
Would I?

Will they get one eventually? 

So much barn to ponder. 


No comments:

Post a Comment