Friday, June 14, 2013

To the rescue

As of yesterday, our gardens are nearly complete thanks to able help from our work crew extraordinaire.



Anjali, Maggie, Adaira, Carmen, Beau, and Mark

Since I twisted my knee on Monday, I haven't been able to plant all week and most of what was left were my favorites-perennials and re-seeding annuals- the heart of our permaculture dreams.  We're exhausted and those sprouts weren't going to last forever in trays.  



I called our new church, Lakes Free, regarding something else and wound up asking for help.  Pastor Justin and Pastor Terry came through and in 24 hours I had a hard-working crew ready to plant.

 Adaira and Carmen planted herbs, perennial greens, and corn.
They were up and down the hill, stooping, bending, digging like some power workout.


 Beau and Mark planted kale, comfrey, morning glories, a tray of miscellaneous leftovers, and clover.
By the trees, on the paths, all over the orchard- Beau was everywhere.

 Maggie and Anjali hauled manure to the Berry Patch and planted comfrey, yarrow, echinacea, and a tray of miscellaneous leftovers.
They had the heaviest, messiest tasks and saw them through with a positive attitude.  Even the manure-slimed hands were a joke.


Everyone asked intelligent questions, listened carefully, and implemented well, making the decisions about where everything would go and getting them in there.
I labeled popsicle sticks and gave instructions while icing my knee.

It was a pleasure to work with such a hard-working, thoughtful group.
One of the best parts of farming is the neighbors you meet along the way.



 

Thanks for coming to my rescue!
Come back anytime.







No comments:

Post a Comment