Thursday, June 12, 2014

Chickindulgence

For some- a bottle of wine or a manicure or a piece of jewelry.
For me- chickens.

I tell myself we need some experienced broody hens.
Really, I need an indulgence.



So, Tim, excellent man, took me on a chicken date last night and we spent the evening at Linda's farm in Woodville, WI, admiring her beautiful collection of poultry.


We came home with two broodies, one with a newly hatched clutch of nine in tow, 17 fertile eggs of interesting varieties of chickens, and a giddy Amy.



I woke before the roosters starting crowing and started imagining: How many eggs will hatch?  Will the broodies brood?  Which kinds of chicks will hatch?  What gender will they be?  How many will survive?  Will they be accepted by the flock?  What kinds of personalities will they have?



White Leghorns, Black Australorp, Welsummer, Lemon Orpington, Auracana with some possible frizzled, White Rock, Blue Orpington, Phoenix Bantam, Black Cochin Bantam.

Aahh, chickindulgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment