Thursday, June 5, 2014

My Muse of Gratitude

How could I finish my roll call of Muses without paying respect to Laura Ingalls Wilder, author of The Little House on the Prairie books?

The kids and I listened to all her books on CD in the van the first winter we lived here and we were all changed and inspired.  Listening to their experience of The Long Winter while driving through cold and snow all bundled up ourselves was particularly memorable.  

This morning what stands out is her family's gratitude for chickens and trees- any chickens or trees at all.  They hadn't had chickens in years and their neighbor shared chicks which made her Ma feel so happy and abundant- eggs!  In South Dakota, there was one tree within driving distance, the only tree they'd seen in miles and miles.  So they went and harvested some sprouts and planted them around their house as a wind break and enjoyed their shade for years to come.  

They were so grateful for any chickens and any trees.

They were so happy with so little because there were some after having none.

I have so much to be grateful for.  
I hope I can be as happy with so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment