Wednesday, June 4, 2014

My Muse for living with compassion

My friend Sheila put me on to my latest Muse- Roger A. MacDonald, MD.  He was a very rural country doctor in the North Woods of Minnesota from 1948-1980 and he wrote some great stories about his experiences which I recently read during my icing-and-propping days after surgery.  I've read A Country Doctor's Casebook and A Country Doctor's Chronicle and have his third book on reserve at the library. 

Here's his website

[Rogerheadshot.jpg] 


He has a heart for people, especially for 'characters' whose one-of-a-kind lives can be disorienting, irritating, and compelling.  He tells about a kid who slugged him after a shot, about a man who assured him that his dog didn't have rabies because none of the other people the dog had bitten had gotten sick, about a child beaten to death, and about an incest victim who dies of complications- all with dignity and compassion and humor.  

I laughed.  I cried.  I was inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment