Saturday, January 25, 2014

Deer Wars III: Revenge of the Doe

 Last Monday, on my way to walk laps at the high school 
before dawn,

a large doe sprinted out of the ditch

jumped just before impact,

and barely missed coming through my driver's side window 
into the van,

leaving Kifah, Aggie, and I shaken.

Fortunately, none of us were hurt.

We drove on to the nearby high school 
while it rained little glass window bits.

I did my Dukes of Hazard exit, sliding out the passenger side.
 
Then we went for our walk 
congratulating ourselves on surviving unharmed, 
debating the relative merits of leaving or trying to save the meat,
and discussing the capriciousness and stupidity of deer. 

 We drove home grateful
for safe cars and near misses,
balmy near-freezing weather and good friends.

By 2:00, 
my window had been replaced, 
the glass bits vacuumed, 
the dent pulled out so the window could go down
by All Auto Glass of Forest Lake
 at the bottom of my driveway for a good price.

By 3:00,
Ginger my chiropractor was realigning my spine.

And by 5:30,
I was home, 
pleased at concluding another deer misadventure 
within 12 hours for under $200. 

No comments:

Post a Comment