Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Lost and found

Back in December, on the first super cold, way below zero night, neither Anjali's favorite chicken, Sh-eagle, nor Mark's favorite, Brownie, tucked themselves into their coops at dusk.  Nothing to do but hope and wait for dawn.

Next morning, we went out to care for the chickens and Anjali found Sh-eagle alive, stiff from cold and roosting under the front ramp. We returned her to the flock with rejoicing.

  
We hunted for Brownie- all the way around the house, all over both levels of the garage- but could not find him.  We piled into the van chilled and running late.  Mark was grim and calm.  I asked him how he was feeling about Brownie and he burst into sobs.

"Brownie's dead, I know it.  I'm never going to see him again!"

Brownie was dead.  Almost certainly either frozen or eaten.  A superfluous second rooster worth a couple bucks.  Except that he is the sunshine of my son's heart.  When my son's sunshine is missing, what else is there to do but go looking?

I re-snapped my down coat, mobilized Anjali back into search and rescue, and told Mark to stay under the blanket in the van.  We'd give it five more minutes. 

Anjali and I hike up the driveway reviewing where Brownie liked to hang out along with all the other places we'd searched for him already.  Looking pretty futile.

Then Anjali's head snapped up.  "The other coop.  The one we've been moving the roosters to at night.  Maybe he's back there.  I'll head to the top of the septic mound and Mom, you take the path around the side."

I prayed and hoped and despaired and waded through snow while Anjali climbed up for a better view.

"I see him!  I see Brownie!  He's all white."

"Is he alive?  Is he moving?"

"He's alive!  I saw him move a little.  Mom, he's alive!"  

My heart leaped and I cheered "Praise God!"  My knees were weak and I started to cry.  It was a pure miracle.  My son's joy was alive. 

Brownie was covered in frost and unable to walk but alive.  Anjali grabbed him up and we waded back to the greenhouse.  I sent Anjali the Hero to tell Mark the good news and Mark came running as quickly as his snow gear allowed.  Brownie didn't perk up so I told Mark to bring him inside.  Mark kept him company on the tile floor with a bowl full of water and a handful of seeds.  Now that Brownie was found, he must live.


Five minutes of warm TLC later, Brownie was well on his way to recovery.  

"Mom, I was praying for Brownie and he's alive," Mark said earnestly with tears in his eyes.  "I asked God and he's alive." 


Cancel the day's responsibilities.  
Take pictures and celebrate.
Sunflower seeds for everyone.
Kill the fatted calf.
Eat lunch at the Wedge.
We won the lottery.
My children's joy lived.  

No comments:

Post a Comment