Sunday, May 25, 2014

My Muses for country living

Historically, the Muses were the goddesses of inspiration, the source of knowledge.


 http://cf067b.medialib.glogster.com/media/ea/ea2bcd3d5ab4a90a74d137a7953ba3273f702abb0cc6cc8f5be8f7915bad3d86/ninemuses-jpg.jpg

Recently I've been reading women telling their stories of country living, farming, transitions, and heart.  I found the inspiration I've needed.  Let me introduce my Muses to you.


Muse of Daring


Hearts West: True Stories of Mail-Order Brides on the Frontier by Chris Enss tells the stories of women looking for and sometimes finding love through newspaper ads.  It's the internet dating of the 1800's.  Names, weights, ages, hair colors, skills, and dreams- it's all there.  It's a hoot and a fun read.  


Muses of Hard Work


Pioneer Women: The Lives of Women on the Frontier by Peavy and Smith is another fast, enjoyable read about women's lives, often in their own words.  Got lots of nice black and white photos. 
 


Muse of Audacity

Leaning into the Wind: Women Write from the Heart of the West edited by Hasselstrom, Collier, and Curtis is a compilation of memoirs and poems from 200+ women mostly written in the 1990's covering plains life from the Depression on.  Absolutely fascinating writing on a huge variety of topics from livestock management to economics to struggle to relationships to mental health all told through personal stories.  Even the single paragraph bios were inspirational to me.  Every voice was different but the style and manner of telling seemed so familiar it was like chatting with old friends.



Muse of Play in Work

 
 I've saved my best for last- Women of the West by Luchetti and Olwell.  It is a gem.  This was the first book about pioneering women I read and was so meaningful, I went on to read all the others listed above in response.  It has haunting black and white photos, a thoughtful introduction, and extended first hand accounts written by women.  All the photos in this post are from this book.  Watch for more posts inspired by these women in my upcoming series on Work.



Muses of Joy and Freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment