Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Zoning vs classification for tax purposes

Zoning refers to rules about what uses are possible where.  Agricultural, commercial, and residential are several possible options.  The Zoning Office upholds the zoning regulations and those regulations vary depending on the zoning.

Classification for tax purposes refers to categories of land use which are taxed and include residential, seasonal non-homestead, and vacant rural land among other classifications.  The Assessor's Office determines these classifications and then taxes accordingly.

I'm sure you see the problem.

'Residential' is used by both offices to mean completely different things.

R Farm is zoned agricultural and classified residential.

Agricultural zoning is the least restrictive zoning with the fewest regulations.  We were careful to research this thoroughly before moving here since farming in the wrong zone would be illegal.  I called the Zoning Office and double-checked.  I asked for relevant livestock and fencing regulations.  Very minimal requirements and no permits.  Easy and congruent with R Farm dreams.


I didn't know zoning and classification could be different until last year when I saw my property tax statement listed us as residential and I knew we were zoned agricultural.  I called.  I learned.  I breathed a huge sigh of relief.  Being wrong about zoning could kill R Farm.

The neighbors here saw their residential classification on their yearly taxes and assumed that was also the zoning.  They moved here for the peace, quiet, wildlife, view, and natural untouched beauty and now they've got R Farm next door in their residentially zoned neighborhood!  

Ooops- zoned agricultural and taxed residential neighborhood.  

Yeah, this hasn't been a fun spring.  

It's been like being Anti-Santa or Killer Claus- ending dreams, ripping off Rudolph's schnoz, telling kids the big jolly fellow isn't real.  

Very un-fun all around.
I don't recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment